Monday, December 20, 2010

Heavy Traffic on the Beach


Posted by PicasaOne of my favorite birds are the Sanderlings (Calidris alba).  These little ones feed on the sandy beaches.  When the waves hit the shore, the Sanderlings run around them, never getting wet, even though they are so close.  They never seem to move their head or body, just their legs. I would guess that they may take as many as 5 or 6 steps per second so their legs look like little blurs as their bodies float by.  I can walk with them for long periods of time, but if I pick up my camera to take a photo, they fly away.

One of our neighbors here at Bahama Palm Shores, Ann Capling, did a painting of them that we have hung in our hallway.  Part of her painting looks like this.



The Sanderling tracks are everywhere on the beach.


If this were the only beach traffic we got, it would be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment